A few things to think about before your lesson:
- Talk to your child about the upcoming experience. Talk and listen. Acknowledge any fears, and help your child overcome them.
- Encourage your child.
- If you’d like to visit the pool prior to taking your lesson, please contact us and we’d be happy to schedule a visit!
- Encourage water play in the bathtub, including getting your child’s face wet.
- Plan to have a swim suit, goggles, and towel for your lesson. Some kids prefer not to use goggles, but we encourage them as it’s more comfortable for kids to open eyes underwater.
- Support the teacher/child bond.
- Be aware that children develop at different rates. Age and physical maturation may affect how rapidly skills are acquired.
- We value your input. If at any time you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to speak with your instructor either before or after the lesson.
- Encourage each advance however minor it may seem to you.
- “Classroom” behavior will be expected. Please reinforce the teacher’s rules.
- We specialize in getting to know your family. We realize that each child is special, with unique strengths and weaknesses. With this in mind, we will do our best to foster a relationship with your child that will enable him or her to succeed – both in and out of the pool. As a parent, you have special insight into your child’s personality. Please share that with us.
- Crying is one of the distinct behaviors that we see in many young children that are just beginning swimming lessons. It is a normal response to a new situation. Unfortunately, the behavior may persist beyond the first day of class, which can be frustrating to you as a parent.
Some things to remember as a parent:
- Acknowledge their fear and talk to them about it
- Offer continued support and encouragement
- Reinforce desired behaviors
- Practice skills at home (bathtub or pool)
- Scold children for crying
- Discontinue lessons altogether
- Allow your anxiety to show through to your child
Registration for swim lessons is ongoing. Contact Kirsten at 415.937.5018 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book the slot you’re after.